Sunday, August 29, 2010

Art Museum visit

I just got back from a trip to Allentown, PA and a visit to the Allentown Art Museum. I went with some of my quilting friends to see their special exhibit of old quilts. The quilts were pretty amazing. Partly because they are so old and have survived the test of time. No pictures were allowed so I can't show them here. I do wish I could show you the stitching on them. There was one white quilt that had stitches so tiny and close together that your eyes crossed just looking at them. None of us could imagine actually doing the hand stitching on them.

Some of my favorites were the redwork ones. I have always been interested in those and think that would be a great take-along project. There was another one that had been made by a man who cut apart US flags - didn't know that was allowed. It was thoroughly enjoyable and gave us all some inspiration. You know, when you want to stop what you're working on and start something new!



Of course, they had a lovely gift shop and lucky for us, all quilt-related items were 30% off. I think we each found something to buy. A few toile fat quarters for only $2.00 + 30% off. You just can't beat that! I also found this cute little ME tin that will be perfect for small projects. Just need to start some.



Had to share this little zipper bag that was made from tape measures. They are woven and the bag is a great size for little supplies.

2 comments:

  1. Love little bags. I love the sewing case. cute cute, I miss eastern PA. Miss Reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that little zipper bag is so cute. Thank you for sharing.
    Happy Quilting!

    ReplyDelete