Thursday, March 28, 2013

A very special talent


I want to share something very special with you. These are two beautiful baskets that I bought at the Pearl Buck Gift Shop. I only planned on buying one but then the second one spoke to me too. The baskets were made by Jill Heir of Intertwined Art. She came to Pearl Buck for the first time to participate in the Christmas Craft Show. After viewing the destruction from Hurricane Sandy, Jill got very excited about the "sticks" that were just waiting to be put to use as handles for her baskets. And from that came the Pearl Buck baskets.


 This picture shows a close-up of the handle on the first basket. If you look on the top of the picture you can see how the root twisted and grew back on itself. Truly one of a kind.


Another view of the handle twist and the weaving that holds it in place. This is the same pattern on Jill's wedding ring. Don't you love it.


Now for the second basket. Jill was in the gift shop and we were looking at the baskets once again. I picked up this basket and when Jill said it reminded her of a teapot, I had to have it. Being a collector of teapots, that one had to come home too. The picture shows a piece of bamboo that Jill wove onto the handle.


Another great view of the basket. All of Jill's baskets are meant to be used so now I just have to decide how I'm going to use it. They are pretty enough to just look at but I promised Jill I would use it!


If you're in the area, stop into our gift shop to see the baskets in person. I did leave a few behind!

No comments:

Post a Comment